PUBLIC, COMMUNITY AND COMMERCIAL
Our practice has been active throughout the southwest for over 35 years and during this time we have had the opportunity to broaden our horizons and client base to include design and project management across a range of project type and client variety, including village halls, schools work, churches, community centres, industrial and commercial buildings.
As a design led practice we are inspired by each different set of criteria a particular project type can bring and each different type of client and their individual or group requirements with which we have to adapt and interpret design requirements.
Often projects in this sector are not for individuals and we have become well versed in being able to develop a brief and subsequent project detail with committees, project groups, councils and the like. We find we are often having to engage the wider public through design workshops and community presentations which require a varied range of skills, both in terms of presentation, media management and feedback interpretation which all are vital in order to assess quickly and productively a development brief.
Throughout these processes it is important to be very conscious of timescales which are often outside of individuals control and maybe more reliant on lengthy planning processes, funding bids or applications and committee agenda’s.
It is also likely that project development and overall contract periods will need to be managed to suit existing buildings and there public or business uses which perhaps cannot be re-housed or do need to be relocated during the process.
We are proud of the work we have achieved for individual communities over the years and we have built up a respected working relationship with councils, committees, local schools and many local and rural businesses and would hope that we have always made ourselves as approachable as we can to all involved in projects in this sector.
Public buildings in whatever context continue to be challenging to the designer and their occupants and remain a vital part of the built environment both socially and economically in rural areas such as ours.
Recent Public, Community and Commercial Projects Completed:
2012 - 2013
- 1 Horn Hill, Dartmouth
- DGCC – New Lodge Building
- Acorn Youth & Sports Centre, Torquay – feasibility
- Alt. to Elektron Instruments Ltd
- DGCC – (Leisure Facilities)
- 2012 French Bread Shop and Flower Shop, Dartmouth Market
- Chudleigh Knighton Village Hall
- Bickington Village Hall
2010 - 2011
- Hotel Extension, Dartmouth Golf and Country Club
- New Sports Pavillion, Starcross
- Chudleigh Knighton Village Hall
- Creperie Titia (Shop Front)
- DG&CC (Function Suite)
- 3 The Quay
- Gara Rock Hotel Development
- Townstal Community Hall
- DGCC Car Parking (New)
- Cemetery, Land below allotments, Dartmouth
- Dartmouth Football Club (stands/changing rooms)
- George Inn Pub
- Allotments, Milton Lane, Dartmouth
- New Creperie, 13 The Quay, 1 Duke Street, Dartmouth
- Venus Café, Watergate Bay
- Vale Port, Totnes
- New Car Park – School Road, Stoke Fleming
2008 - 2009
- Anzac Street Bistro, Dartmouth
- Stoke Fleming Cricket Club Pavillion
- The Ship Inn, Noss Mayo
- DGCC – Cottages
- Linksway Nursing Home, Exmouth
- Nursing Home, Dartmouth
- DGCC – Bar and Resturant
- Venus Café, Blackpool Sands
- Browns Hotel
- Phase III Hillfield
- New Entrance and WC Facilities
- Greenham Business Park, Wellington
- Amberwood Nursing Home, Exmouth
- SWW Pumping Station, Beechcroft
- Specialist Bid Operation